Smoke Detectors News
Saturday January 2, 2010WHEN the clock struck midnight at the Red Rattler Theatre on Thursday, revellers gathered in the old factory were celebrating not just the new decade but the beginning of a new era in legal arts venues in Sydney.
Sunday September 23, 2007CREWS from NSW Fire Brigades were called out to more than 50,000 false alarms last year due to smoke detectors going off.
Saturday July 17, 1999Manchester United's first Socceroos clash had promoter Rene Rivkin groping for superlatives. But, as Malcolm Knox reports, few others did. THE smoke detectors at Star City don't work. They picked up neither the thunderclouds rising from Rene Rivkin's cigar, nor the plumes issuing from his ea
Monday June 1, 1998Smoke detectors had been fitted to nearly all of the Housing Commission's 130,000 properties, NSW Emergency Services Minister Bob Debus said yesterday. Mr Debus said a woman and her 10 children living in a Housing Commission home in western Sydney recently escaped injury after a smoke detector w
Monday October 21, 1996Smoke detectors failed to work during the Kew Cottages blaze that killed nine disabled men, the Coroner's Court was told yesterday. Mr Robert Redlich, QC, for the Department of Human Services, said evidence would show that some smoke detectors did not operate and this might have caused a delay in
Thursday October 17, 1996The Country Fire Authority has issued a call for country people to fit smoke detectors to their homes after the death of two young sisters in a house fire at Bairnsdale, East Gippsland, yesterday. Firefighters believe a lit candle was responsible for the fire that claimed the lives of Stacey New
Tuesday May 7, 1996RECENT studies have confirmed that fire fatalities can be significantly reduced if properly installed and maintained smoke detectors are fitted in houses, according to associate professor Ronald Webber of RMIT. Research by the the National Fire protection Association in the United States support
Sunday March 17, 1996A SCREECH pulled Janice Millington out of a deep sleep. Fire! By the time she and her husband Rick reached the bedrooms of their three children, the rooms were in flames. Within seconds the family was safe outside - but their Rosemeadow home was destroyed. "If we had not heard the smok
Wednesday December 6, 1995THERE was a major hunt going on in the household for the source of the chirruping sound from the ceiling - birds in distress, it was assumed. Access hole covers were flung aside, bird food inserted to tide the feathered friend until it could be enticed into a cage and further helped to freedom.
Wednesday September 27, 1995from Graeme Elliott, information officer, Australian Radiation Laboratory Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health. Rachael Mackey (8/9) raised the issue of radioactive materials being used in domestic smoke detectors. These detectors contain a small amount of americium-241 sealed
Monday July 27, 1992The deputy state coroner, Ms Wendy Wilmoth, recommended yesterday that sprinkler systems and hard-wired smoke detectors be made mandatory in special accommodation homes across Victoria. Ms Wilmoth made the recommendation after inquests on 10 deaths in nine months in fires at special accommodat
Monday May 25, 1992EVERYONE agrees: smoke detectors are A Good Thing. The NSW Fire Brigades think so. So does the Australian Consumers' Association. So do major insurers GIO Australia and the NRMA, likewise the Australian Fire Protection Association. Not everyone, however, has put their money where their mou
Monday September 9, 1991The federal Minister for Consumer Affairs, Senator Tate, has ordered an assessment of the effectiveness of smoke detectors following allegations that consumers were being put at risk by substandard equipment. But the Australian Retired Persons Association has criticised the move as half-hearted.